One thing that I LOVE about using the crockpot is that I can set and forget it. Even though most of the time that I use my crockpot I am home anyways, I just like using it as I can get some many things down around the house while it food is cooking in it.
While the soup was cooking in the crockpot, I was able to clean the whole house for a party that I’m having on Friday. Later this week I’ll just have to do a quick sprucing up clean up. The smell of the soup cooking was making me so hungry. My roommate even commented on how she couldn’t wait to eat because it smelled so good.
I love the creaminess of the soup. I normally make this soup without tortellini, but I decided to add them since I had them on hand. I am very glad that I decided to try it out because I have fallen in love with the new version.
- 2 14.5 oz diced tomatoes with basil, garlic & oregano
- 1 15 oz tomato sauce with Italian herbs
- 1 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp basil
- ½ cup whole milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 10 oz tortellini
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Add first 10 ingredients through the chicken broth to the crockpot. Cover and cook for 4 hours on low (2 hours high).
- After the four hours, transfer soup to a blender/food processor (or use an emersion blender) and puree, return to crockpot.
- In a medium sauce pan create the roux by melting the butter over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour. Once throughly mixed, slowly whisk in the heavy cream. Whisk until smooth.
- Add roux and tortellini to crockpot.
- Cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Top with parmesan cheese